What makes a kitchen great?
What makes a kitchen great? There are so many details of form and function that can go into designing a great kitchen. As most people only renovate a kitchen once or twice in their lives, it’s good to have some expert advice and do your research before hand.
Here are some of the top things that make everyday kitchen usage a seamless experience:
- The work triangle – Fridge , stove and sink positioning that allow for ease of movement and comfortable distances away from each other.
- Organization- A kitchen needs variation in cabinet shelving, sizes and locations. Things should be easy to reach and customized to what you use most. For example, having a pull out spice rack next to your stove makes it easy for a dash of this and a pinch of that.
- Countertops and cabinets – Consider durability, style, functionality, soft close hardware, built in racks and ease of cleaning. Do you have kids and need a durable surface? Is the style going to last for years to come? Are the countertops low maintenance?
- Lighting – There’s a variety of light that illuminates your work spaces; overhead, under cabinet and natural ambient light. Were there any dark areas in your kitchen before if you’re dong a renovation? Do you want a line of sight from your sink through the window to the yard?
- Maximize space – We always seem to need more space. Get creative with utilizing unusual spaces like a bookshelf on the end of an island or high cabinets for storage of items you only need every so often.
- Eating areas and social space- Will you need bar stools at a counter for friends and family to sit at? Would it be beneficial to knock out a wall for a more open concept kitchen that flows into other living areas?
The next time you’re in someone else’s kitchen take note of what works well and what doesn’t. The team at Final Draft Cabinetry have years of experience designing kitchens and bathrooms in Vancouver and on the Sunshine Coast and can help you customize your kitchen to fit your needs.